Whether you call it an Advent Calendar, a Countdown to Christmas, or simply a fun winter activity – this cute
and easy DIY is the perfect way to add some MJC flair to your holiday decorations.
1. First, gather all your supplies. Click here to download our MJC Numbers Printable. You should be able to find everything else you need at your local craft store. We chose small craft paper envelopes because we wanted to put little pieces of paper with inspirational sayings and fun winter activity suggestions in each of our envelopes. If you want to put a small gift or candy in yours, choose a larger envelope or treat bag! It’s really up to you. Make sure the cork board and fabric you buy are big enough to accommodate 24 of the envelopes or bags you choose, though. We found little self-adhesive pearls from the scrap booking section to cover our thumbtacks. So cute!
2. Next, it’s time to cover the cork board with fabric. Spread a generous layer of Mod Podge over the cork board. Make sure to cover the entire thing!
3. Smooth your fabric onto the cork board. We used some extra Platinum fabric that was in our office, but any woven, cotton fabric will do! Position your fabric over the Mod Podge covered cork board. Double check that the pattern is running the right way, and smooth it out using your fingers. Make sure there aren’t any air pockets, and also be sure to press the fabric into the corners and on the sides of the cork board as well. If you’d like a stronger hold, smooth a layer of Mod Podge on top of the fabric, too. Wait for everything to dry, then trim the excess fabric, fold the edges around the back of the cork board, and tape the flaps in place using strong packing tape.
4. While you wait for your fabric-covered cork board to dry, prep the other pieces of the project. Cut out the numbers from our MJC Numbers Printable and glue one each to your craft paper envelopes.
5. Stick the self-adhesive pearls to the tops of your thumbtacks.
6. Lay out all 24 of your envelopes. You’ll want to space them all out evenly before you pin them to your board. Then pin them all down!
7. The last step is filling your envelope with goodies. We wrote inspirational sayings and fun winter activity suggestions on bright paper to stick in each of our envelopes. You can also stuff them with little treats or clues to hiding places for larger gifts. If your envelopes fold closed instead of being open at the top like ours, fill them before you pin them down.
And that’s it! This cute and easy DIY is sure to put a smile on your face all month long. Share pictures of your finished DIY Holiday Calendars on Facebook or Instagram by using #MJCdiy. We can’t wait to see what you come up with!