“Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass…
it’s about learning to dance in the rain.”
~ Vivian Greene
‘Tis the season for rain, snow, warm, cold.. mix and repeat. Oh Mother Nature, just a day can entirely change our wardrobe choices (cue all those MJ layering looks ?). This weather definitely keeps life exciting, especially with littles in the house with their eager sense of adventure and boundless energy. Sometimes staying snuggled up and at home might seem a bit confining, but never fear, we’ve got some fun ways to embrace these weather events with puddles of fun!
- Treasure Hunt… Who doesn’t love a good scavenger hunt?! You can plan this activity in a variety of ways – hunt for colors of the rainbow that lead to a pot of gold or write silly clues that lead to your kiddo’s favorite thing hiding in the house. With just a little prep work, a scavenger hunt can engage little minds and develop their inner Nancy Drew.
- Let’s get crafty (and dance)… if there is one thing we know about keeping a little one busy, a craft is in for the win! And when you add a little dance party at the end, it is twice as fun. All you need is a toy ring and some ribbon to get the party started. Once your cutie has found the ribbons they fancy, simply tie them to the ring. Now, grab those rainbow ribbon dancers, your favorite tunes and find an open and safe space to dance their little hearts out with a game of freeze dance. Just one rule, freeze like a statue when the music is paused. To challenge them, play with the music volume and their levels of movement. Giving them different tasks keeps them on their toes and engaged with the game (if the music is quiet, have them dance low to the ground; if the music is louder, have them dance high in the sky).
- MJC Pretty Printables… We crafted these pretty printables with your cuties in mind. They are great for rainy days, quiet time or just to keep your kiddos away from the screen. These printables are also a great tool to keep your littles occupied while you shop the day away at your MJC trunk show with your favorite TK. Can you think of a better way to hang with your favorite people, do a little shopping and cozy up all at the same time?! Click here to snag yours today.
- When in doubt, bake it out… Some of my favorite times growing up have been centered at the heart of the home, the kitchen! In my family, food and cooking were as necessary as breathing. Cooking creates memories that last a lifetime. So pull out your aprons and get cooking on some rainbow themed baking. Start with your favorite cake, pancake or cupcake mix. Divide your batter once prepared and use multi-hued food coloring to turn the colorful fun.
- Jump on in… Like Vivian Greene says in her quote above, it’s all about learning to dance in the rain. Our designers crafted our pretty rain pieces with twirling and playing in mind. They worked hard to create pieces that look good, feel good and hold up to everyday play. So, get outside in your favorite rain jacket, umbrella and wellies to jump in on the fun.
- Fort Fun… I think we all have memories of building fantastic forts growing up as kids. They had to be just right and stocked full of pillows, blankets, flashlight and snacks. What better way to relive this adventure than with your little ones. Use your Matilda Jane blankets and quilts to design pretty, patterned creations – forts never looked so good!
Don’t let cabin fever set in when the weather is grim. These activities might just be the perfect way to add a little homemade sunshine to a cloudy day! Be sure to tag us at #matildajane as you bring these rainy day adventures to life in your own home.
Ciao for now,